There is a lot of noise about working conditions, but is the hollering just a few malcontents or is the issue pervasive, cutting across all levels, in every corner of our country?
Let’s do a significantly unimpressive little study. Just people who hang out at Jay Pee’s. You can be anonymous, so tell the truth. Please tell us what company you are talking about and, at least, the state where you work. Answer these questions and feel free to editorialize all you want.
1. Do you work 12 to 14 hour shifts on a regularly scheduled basis?
2. Do you work more than one long shift each week?
3. Do non-pharmacist management people interfere with the pharmacy, micromanage the pharmacy or otherwise assert their authority in pharmacy business matters?
4. Do non-pharmacist managers interfere in PROFESSIONAL matters?
5. Do you comply with all pharmacy laws? If not, which ones do you neglect and why.
6. Have non-pharmacist managers ever told you that you counsel too much, that you take too much time or have they told you to modify your counseling behavior?
7. Do you get an uninterrupted meal/rest break of at least 30 minutes for each 8 hour shift?
8. Do you have to eat “On the run”?
9. Do you eat good, healthy food or do you grab what is quick and tasty from the snack aisle?
10. Have you ever had an “accident” on the way to the bathroom because you waited too long?
11. You are a well-educated medical professional. Does your employer value you as such?
12. Does your employer treat you as if you are not valued and tell you that you are expendable?